If you’re like a lot of folks you may “Google” something when you’re looking for an answer to a question. I do it too but lately, I’ve turned to Pinterest to find answers and suggestions to all sorts of questions.
Recently, I’ve been trying to get my clear flower vases clear of the floral waste after the flowers have expired. I thought for sure I’d find remedies on Pinterest – and I did. And the grimy vase remedy is also a remedy for 10 other cleaning “problems”.
Check it out – It’s Alka Seltzer!
Alka Seltzer is an over the counter medication usually used for stomach issues. You know: “Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is”? But it can do so much more. Such as:
- Clean a glass jar or vase: Drop two Alka-Seltzer tablets in, add hot water and swish it around until the tablets are dissolved. Let it sit for an hour & rinse, and the glass jar or vase will be as clean as new. AND – you can do the same for stained plastic containers.
- Whiten your laundry: Fill a sink or bucket with hot water and drop in 2-3 tablets. Soak your whites for up to 30 minutes before laundering to get rid of dingy yellow coloring!
- Clean a toilet: Drop two tablets in the toilet, wait 20 minutes for the citric acid to loosen the grime, scrub and flush. The bowl will be clean, shiny, and deodorized.
- Clear a clogged drain and deodorize: Drop four Alka-Seltzer tablets down the drain, followed by a cup of white vinegar and allow to stand for about ten minutes. Flush with a pot of boiling water .
- Deodorize the Fridge: Drop an Alka-Seltzser in a cup of water and leave it in the refrigerator for a half hour. If there is still a smell in the refrigerator, then wash down the inside of the refrigerator with another Alka-Seltzer tablet in water.
- Clean and deodorize your cooler: Add about 1 inch of water to the bottom of your cooler, drop 4 tablets in, and let sit for an hour. After an hour, rinse and dry. All smells will be gone and it will be clean and ready for its next use.
- Clean out your coffee maker: Fill the water chamber of the coffeemaker and then drop in three tablets. Run the coffeemaker through a brew cycle. This will clean out all the internal components. Run through another plain water cycle before using the machine again for coffee.
- Remove burnt on food: Drop 5 tablets into a sink full of hot water (or fill your cookware with the warm water and tablets) and let your cookware soak for an hour or so. The burnt food will come off with ease.
- Polish jewelry: Soak your jewelry in a bowl with warm water and two tablets. Let it soak 20 minutes and you’ll have shiny, clean rings, bracelets and more. DO NOT USE on pearls or opals.
- Calm itchy insect bites: Make a solution with two tablets and warm water. Soak a cotton ball and place on the bite for 30 minutes.
- Use as an all-purpose cleaner: Combine 3 tablets with 8 ounces of warm water in a spray bottle – Wait for the fizzing to stop – and wipe down counters, tiles and tubs. You can even place 5 tablets to one half gallon of water in your sink and use as mop water. WOW! Who woulda thought??
Have you tried any of these remedies before using Alka-Seltzer?
Thank you to the pin from the website Spend with Pennies and the pin from One Good Thing for the tips! Every single tip I could benefit from. Looks like I’ll be picking up some Alka Seltzer on my next grocery run.