With autumn here we enjoy breezy days and we likely open our windows to let the fresh, cool air inside. Also with autumn’s arrival we are reminded that winter is just around the corner and it’s time to get the house cleaned and prepped for cozy evenings inside.
Here’s our Fall Cleaning Checklist to prepare your home and households for the coming winter.
- Vacuum upholstered furniture, or have professionally cleaned if needed. Vacuum weekly using an upholstery attachment to keep it looking it’s best. Protect delicate upholstery by vacuuming through a screen to prevent the fabric from being sucked into the nozzle.
- Move furniture and vacuum beneath and behind it.
- Clean window coverings. All the fresh air from enjoying the breeze with windows open likely created dust buildup on the blinds and curtains. Even just dusting them off is better than nothing.
- Bring winter linens out of storage.
- Turn mattresses front-to-back and end-to-end to equalize wear.
- Launder and clean all bedding: mattress pads, pillows, duvets, blankets, comforters.
- Schedule professional carpet cleaning now through early in October. Warm October afternoons speed carpet drying. We hear carpet cleaning companies get busy by the end of October. If your budget doesn’t allow for all carpeted rooms to be cleaned, consider cleaning only the room you use most.
- Inspect washer hoses for bulges, cracks or splits. Replace them every other year.
- Check dryer exhaust tube and vent for built-up lent, debris or birds’ nests. Make sure the exterior vent door closes tightly when not in use.
- Clean out closets. Cooler weather means more clothing. It’s time to clean out and make room for coats, boots, gloves and scarves. Pack up summer clothes and linens and replace them with cool-season items.
Can you think of something that should be added to our Household Cleaning list? Let us know in the comments.
If you’re short on time to tackle everything on this list, we can help. Bring your comforters, duvets, draperies, blankets and bed linens to any of our stores or let our Free Pick Up and Delivery service pick up at your home or office.