Your area rugs are a large investment. To keep them looking like new, follow these tips.
- Prevent dirt and grime from getting on the carpet in the first place. Take off your shoes before entering your house and change your air filters in your heating and cooling systems as recommended by the manufacturer’s directions. The more dirt you stop at the door by taking off your shoes, and the more dust removed by the filter, the fewer particles that fall onto the carpet and rugs.
- Vacuum frequently. Abrasive soil and sand-like particles get ground into the rug and eventually wear down the nap. Vacuuming the front of the rug as much as possible helps remove those particles. Also, be sure to vacuum the back of the rug 2 to 3 times per year.
- Remove spots as quickly as possible. White vinegar and filtered water is a great choice if you prefer an option that is Eco-friendly and safe around children and pets.
- Rotate your rugs at least once each year to change the amount of traffic the rug receives to one area.
- Have your rugs professionally cleaned at least once each year if it is susceptible to heavy traffic. For oriental rugs in low traffic areas, once every three years is recommended.